As we age, we begin to think about our legacy and how our valuables, be it property, cash or other items of worth will be distributed to family or other institutions. Estate planning by definition is moving assets (financial or otherwise) to relatives or loved ones in the event of your death. A Will is a legal document outlining your wishes for asset distribution after death.
Trusts are agreements in which a trustor (one party) gives the trustee (second party) the ability to maintain the title to assets or property for the well being of the beneficiary (third party).
The two types of trusts are Testamentary Trusts (one enacted through the will posthumously) and Living Trusts (one that is in force during the trustor’s lifetime).
Estate planning is a subject that requires sensitivity, meticulous attention to detail as well as the ability to envision future needs of your family and loved ones.
Creating and revising drafts of Wills and Trusts can be a complex and confusing affair without the proper guidance and experience. With over 36 years of experience and roots in the Davie County community, our team at Koontz Law, PLLC is the best choice for your estate and legacy planning needs.
The initial step is easy; we begin by having a consultation with you about your wishes for asset distribution. Our team then goes to work crafting a personal estate plan to suit your specific wishes. You can rest assured knowing that your loved ones will benefit from your long term arrangements.
All of the following services are available for:
- Medicaid Planning: Advice on qualifying for long-term care benefits, including preparation of Medicaid application forms and representation at Administrative or Court hearings.
- Living Wills and Medical Power of Attorney: Assure that your wishes for medical care will continue to be met in the future should you become incapacitated.
- Wills, Trusts, and Durable Powers of Attorney: Designed especially to fit you, your spouse and children, with special attention to disabilities.
- Guardianship of Property and Person: We will explore options and alternatives for you to consider or administrate them when they are the best option.
- Probate: We offer estate administration.
- Special Needs and Disability Trusts for Disabled Adults and Children
Koontz Law, PLLC also provides the following services:
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
Our firm can also help you to reduce your gift, generation-skipping transfer, and estate tax burdens by employing proven strategies such as creating family limited partnerships, limited liability companies, using life insurance trusts, developing charitable lead trusts and charitable remainder trusts.